What does that mean and is it possible?
By Fix Your Relationship in ONE Minute Author Jay Fleming-Smith
Happy New Year! You probably made your New Year's resolutions the moment you woke up Jan. 1. And the usual-resolution-suspects are most likely to spend more time with your children, friends and family; lose weight; or exercise more.
But wait a minute! What about the current state or potential challenges of your emotional life? Are you single or in an unhappy relationship? If so, I would argue that your 2013 priority is to 'fix' that first. Fix Your Relationship in ONE Minute, the title of my book, has generated a lot of questions and curiosity. What does the ONE minute mean? And is it possible to fix a relationship in that time?
The answer is yes but it all depends on your willingness, determination and persistence to make it happen and to reclaim that long lost happiness. Whether you're single or unhappy in a relationship is irrelevant. The key to success is to be PROACTIVE.
Jay Fleming-Smith, author Fix Your Relationship in ONE Minute - Life Changing Tips for Women on How to Avoid Bad Relationships & Find True Love (July 2012)
Jay Fleming-Smith, author
Fix Your Relationship in ONE Minute - Life Changing Tips for Women on How to Avoid Bad Relationships &
Find True Love (July 2012)
Fix Yourself First
No one can fully love another person if they're not happy with themselves. Granted, you're no longer 21 but that doesn't matter. I strongly recommend you identify three things you can do to improve yourself and work on them. For example:
· Exercise. Regular exercise is extremely beneficial for your mental well-being. You don't need to run a marathon. A half-hour walk three times a week can do wonders.
· Improve your diet. If you eat better, you'll FEEL better. Go easy on sugar and fat, nowadays hidden in practically ALL processed foods.
· Indulge yourself. Have a massage, get a haircut or buy yourself a nice little gift. Overall, be kind to yourself but work at changing some bad habits. Small persistent changes can yield big results.
Assess Your Relationship Status
Once you've started working on you, it's time to socialise. So let's talk about your relationship status.
· Looking for Love - If you're a single Boomer, it might not seem so easy to find a new love partner in crime. Nothing is further from the truth! More people are single than ever before. It's an unfortunate by-product of modern times where we're slowly moving from a married to a single society but it means there are a lot of people looking for love!
However, Mr. or Mrs. Right will not ring your doorbell. You need to be social! The trick is to meet your future partner in an environment where you feel comfortable. It could mean anywhere from the bowling alley to the tennis club, a birthday party or an anniversary celebration, a barbecue or a book club. Get out there and meet people!
· It's Complicated - If you're in an unhappy relationship, it's not the end of the world. According to a survey of relationship experts, only 5-8% of unhappy relationships can NEVER be solved. But it all depends on your willingness to work hard, to take therapy if necessary, to be patient and to work on your acceptance of each other.
By the same token, if you've tried absolutely everything and no change is on the horizon, it will be your partner's loss if you decide to leave. Sometimes, our relationships are at a crossroads which can be incredibly challenging and confusing. And leaving a partner is a life-changing decision with big consequences but only you will know what is good for you. Needless to say, these types of decisions cannot be taken lightly but happiness is fragile and life is short. There is a French expression which says (translated) that "sometimes we have to take one step back in life to advance two steps."
Reclaim Happiness in ONE Minute
How can the ONE-minute approach help? The advantage that you have as a Boomer is that you have life experience. Most of you are or have been married, typically with children who are starting their own adult lives. You're not only looking with pride and anticipation to the development of their lives but you're also reflecting on your own life. And you can identify in ONE minute what went right, what went wrong and where you want to be.
It only takes ONE minute to act or say something in your life which can cause change. But whether you will act accordingly, only you know.
Most of us are stuck in our comfort zone and don't like change. That's understandable. But change cannot come without leaving that comfort zone. The "ONE Minute" is your PROACTIVE, life-changing opportunity which will propel you in a new direction. There is a universal truth which says that the older you get, the faster life goes. And you probably know it. So if you want to reclaim your happiness, you NEED to ACT now and not hesitate. All it takes is self-belief, courage and persistence and it can be the catalyst for better years to come. I sincerely wish it to every single one of you!
About the Author
Jay Fleming-Smith is an author, screenwriter and financier. Over a 20-year career, he has lived and worked in five different countries. Visit www.fyriom.com to learn more about Fix Your Relationship in ONE Minute - Life Changing Tips for Women on How to Avoid Bad Relationships & Find True Love (July 2012).
You might also enjoy: